Refine your search
Search availability for Heddon's Gate Hotel and book online
Few places can match the enviable setting of this hotel, superbly positioned on the slopes of the magnificently wooded Heddon Valley. Hidden at the end of a quarter-mile drive, you will discover Heddon's Gate, with its tranquil country house atmosphere.
Built as a hunting lodge in the 1890's, when the Victorian wealthy were choosing all the best sites for their country estates, the hotel is now a charming fusion of different styles.
Heddon's Gate has eleven distinctive bedrooms, each equipped with TV, radio, hair dryer and hot drink facilities. All bedrooms have en suite bathrooms with WC, basin, bidet, bath and/or shower.
Relax and unwind in the comfort of the hotel. Why not curl up with your favourite book in the library, or enjoy the inspiring view whilst taking tea in the spacious lounge. Later on meet fellow guests in the bar, enjoy an aperitif and browse the dinner menu and carefully chosen wine list.
Eating at Heddon's Gate is always an occasion. Start the day with a hearty English breakfast, or a lighter option if preferred.
The main event of the day is the excellent 4 course dinner. Savour the very best local produce, prepared to a high standard by the proprietors, who are passionate about serving good food. Then retire to the bar or lounge, where you will find coffee and tea with after dinner mints.
The natural beauty of Exmoor makes it a walkers paradise. Explore dramatic coastal scenery, spectacular moorlands, wooded combes and varied wildlife. Many favourite walks start directly from the hotel.
Much of the unspoilt countryside is equally accessible by car. You can also explore the stately old houses, gardens, castles, museums, fine churches, markets and craft centres that abound in North Devon.
Experience the best of Exmoor hospitality at Heddon's Gate.
Children welcome from any age.
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
24 April 2017
“Very relaxing in a stunning location”
We received a very warm and friendly welcome and were made to feel very much at home. Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts and we really appreciated the welcome our dog received.
The room was spacious, clean and had everything we needed including a view of the lovely garden and panoramic views of Exmoor.
We would definitely stay and dine at Heddons Gate again in the future.
SS 656484 51.21954 -3.92504
From M5 Jct 27
Take A361 west towards Barnstaple. After 28 miles take A399 north towards Ilfracombe. After 15 miles turn right on to minor road signposted Trentishoe & The Hunter's Inn. At The Hunters Inn turn left up the steep hill to Martinhoe for 1/4 of a mile then turn left down N.T. private road to Martinhoe Cleave & Heddon's Gate.
- Children welcome
- Tea/coffee making in bedrooms
- Licenced (table or bar)
- Packed lunches provided
- Special diets available
- Lounge for residents' use
- Ironing facilities
- Private parking
- Totally non-smoking
- Central heating
- Electric shaver points
- Telephone (public)
- Television available
- Pony trekking/horse-riding
- Restaurant open to non-residents
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- Vegetarian diet available
- American Express accepted
- WiFi or internet access
- DVD player
- Euros accepted
- Evening meals
- High chairs available
- Cots available
- Real log/coal fires
- Staff fluent in French
- Staff fluent in German
- Staff fluent in Italian
- Staff fluent in Spanish
- Staff fluent in Portuguese
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance is
- Solid ie tarmac / concrete etc
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Has steps and no ramp
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Entrance to reception
- Good contrast between the floor and wall
- Guest information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedroom with non-allergenic bedding available
- Bedroom without fitted carpets available
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Bath with shower
- Separate shower unit with support handrails available
- Bath with support handrails available
- Steps to the main entrance
- 1Number of steps to entrance
- Entrance well lit
- Bell at main entrance
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Menus available in large print (14pt and over)
- Meals for guests with special dietary requirements can be provided:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliac)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Low potassium
- Low sodium
- Nut free
- Additive free
- Proprietors/staff available 24-hours
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities