Refine your search
Search availability for The Byre and book online
A barn, formerly used for keeping cattle on the ground floor, with hay stored on the first floor known as a hay loft. The Byre has been converted to a very high standard with oak wood used throughout, retaining the original beams.
There is solid oak flooring, with scatter rugs, apart from bedrooms which have pure Herdwick-wool fitted carpets made locally in Kendal. The Byre has 2 bedrooms on the ground floor along with a bathroom which has a bath with shower over. There is also a shower room with toilet and basin on the first floor
The first floor is open plan with kitchen at one end, dining area in the middle and lounge area with TV, wood burning stove and two leather sofas at the end with the large opening which was the barn doors.
The Kitchen has dish washer, washing machine, microwave, fridge freezer, double electric oven and separate electric hob.
The whole place is very comfortable and kept warm with oil fired central heating. Water is heated by combi boiler. All windows and doors are double glazed and the walls and roof have been insulated for really cosy comfort even in the middle of winter.
The views are phenomenal looking up Deepdale towards Fairfield, onto Aiken Crag at the back and across to Place Fell at the front.
Bed linen, towels, central heating and logs for the woodburner are provided. Electric by meter reading
Children welcome from any age.
Co Durham, United Kingdom
11 November 2012
The cottage was very well equipped, beautifully renovated and still looked fresh 6 years on. Lots of little extras to make you feel welcome.
Reply from The Byre at 14 Aug 2016
Many thanks for your review
NY 397144 54.52129 -2.93308
From M6 jct 40 follow A66 towards Keswick then take the A592. The farmhouse is on the A592, 1 mile south of Patterdale signpost on roadside. From M6 jct 36 follow signs to Windermere and then at mini roundabout take 3rd exit for Ullswater and Kirkstone Pass. We are 1 mile north of Brotherswater on the left after a red phone box. Public transport: bus from Penrith or Windermere.
- Children welcome
- Satellite TV
- Ironing facilities
- Private parking
- Building of historical interest
- Central heating
- Laundry facilities
- Microwave cooker
- Linen provided
- Working farm
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- DVD player
- High chairs available
- Cots available
- Real log/coal fires
- Washing machine
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Parking for Single unit properties:
- Parking space provided
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- Parking for Multiple unit properties:
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Toilet and bathroom
- One or more bedrooms
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Bedrooms available with non-allergic bedding (ie non-feather pillows)
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Bath with shower
- Steps to the main entrance:
- Entrance is well lit
- Sink taps have lever handles
- Seating available in kitchen