Refine your search
Superior guest accommodation in Monmouth B and B. With newly refurbished rooms and AA Breakfast Award for 2012.
Just prepare to relax as a warm welcome awaits you at our elegant home. Portland House is uniquely placed in the Wye Valley on the borders of Monmouthshire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire, proudly standing at the centre of Whitchurch, surrounded by wonderful scenery and history, in an area of outstanding natural beauty; adjacent to the famous Symonds Yat Rock and Gorge on the outskirts of the Forest of Dean. The River Wye is just five minutes away on foot. Wonderful documented walks direct from our door. Ross on Wye and several golf clubs just 10 minutes in the car.
The house is Grade 2 listed and has a wealth of character and charm plus a fascinating history; not overly large but very spacious for guests to feel relaxed and comfortable. In the spring/ summer you can relax in the interesting award winning garden or during autumn/winter in our very attractive lounge with a log fire; enjoy the elegant dining room and our wonderful 3 course breakfasts including yummy Aga baked muesli and fruit compotes, home made breads and up to nine different preserves to feast upon. Dinner can be pre-booked by arrangement.
Portland House has been graded as 4 stars by the AA and awarded a Green Business Award, and Wildlife Action Award for the lovely garden. Not only that but Herefordshire has awarded Portland House 5 Stars for Excellence under Food Hygiene Regulations
For the romantics amongst you, the majestic Monmouth Suite, with its own entrance hallway, has an unique king size 4 poster bed with a luxury mattress topper, a really comfy leather Chesterfield sofa to snuggle into while watching TV/DVD or just relaxing with a book or the magazines on offer. To complete your comfort the Victorian bathroom is complete with large roll top bath to gaze up at the black chandelier.
For wheelchair users and people with limited mobility, the luscious Lloyd Suite, just off the ground floor hallway, has been awarded a M2 level rating for accessibility for the disabled by the English Tourism Council. It has a small conservatory leading from the bedroom, which overlooks the garden. This is a special place to relax. The large ensuite bathroom is equipped with a toilet facility for the disabled and grab rails, a wet area for showering with wall seat, and a spacious bath.
The private Ross Family Suite on the second floor has two adjoining bedrooms to accommodate a family of 5-6, sharing an ensuite and looks onto the Doward. The suite is equipped with TV in each room with DVD as well as traditional past times such as chess and family games, and a doll's house and rocking horse.
Besides this we have other spacious bedrooms like the elegant Magnolia Room (double), overlooking our Magnolia Tree, the attractive Doward Room, (Twin) overlooking the Doward alongside Symonds Yat, and the pretty Marstow Room, (double) overlooking farmland at the rear.
All rooms are equipped with a service tray, hair dryer and shaver point, plus seating area with magazines. A trouser press is also available as well as iron and ironing board, and guests have use of a laundry room.
With this range of inclusive accommodation Portland House is considered to be one of the best venues for family and group events besides being an ideal place to stay for couples of all ages and types.
It's easy to find us. Just head North from the historic town of Monmouth on A40, after about 3 miles you will see a service station on your left. Just after this is the Whitchurch turnoff. Enter the village onto the Llangrove Road and look for the walls and gate portals of Portland House immediately to your right...
Children welcome from any age.
SO 550176 51.85562 -2.65448
From Ross: A40 south, after approx. 5.4 miles, turn off for Symonds Yat West. Turn right at the roundabout, over the bridge into Whitchurch. Portland House gates face you. Drive in through the gate portals for private parking
From Monmouth: Take the A40 north and after approx. 4.3 miles turn off for Symonds Yat West. Portland House gates face you. Drive in through the gate portals for private parking
- Children welcome
- Satellite TV
- Tea/coffee making in bedrooms
- Licenced (table or bar)
- Packed lunches provided
- Lounge for residents' use
- Ironing facilities
- Private parking
- Totally non-smoking
- Senior citizens reduced rates
- Disabled facilities
- Central heating
- Laundry facilities
- Electric shaver points
- Television available
- Pony trekking/horse-riding
- Golf available (onsite or nearby)
- Cycles for hire
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- Vegetarian diet available
- WiFi or internet access
- Leisure club (onsite or nearby)
- DVD player
- Evening meals
- High chairs available
- Cots available
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance is
- Solid ie tarmac / concrete etc
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Is flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Entrance to reception
- One or more bedrooms
- Good contrast between the floor and wall
- Guest information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedroom with non-allergenic bedding available
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Bath with shower
- Wet room
- Separate shower unit with support handrails available
- Separate shower unit with fixed shower seat or shower chair available
- Bath with support handrails available
- WCs with handrails available
- Bathroom with emergency call system available
- Bedrooms available with emergency call systems such as flashing lights (if fire alarm is activated)
- Bedrooms available with en suite bathrooms suitable for guests who use a wheelchair
- Bathrooms available that have been specially adapted for wheelchair users
On arrival at Portland House Guest House, your vehicle can drop you right outside the front door. There are no steps either outside or inside to navigate. Your route to The Lloyd Suite is all on one level. Wide doorways leading to the lounge and dining easily accommodate wheelchairs on the ground floor. Staircase to upper floors have handrails on either side of the stairs. Contrasting colour schemes allow for easier negotation of all spaces.
- Entrance well lit
- Bell at main entrance
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Menus available in large print (14pt and over)
- Meals for guests with special dietary requirements can be provided:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Low potassium
- Low sodium
- Nut free
- Additive free
- Proprietors/staff available 24-hours
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities
- Staff have had disability awareness training