Refine your search
High Slakes is a detached cottage situated in a secluded position on the banks of a tarn and surrounded by farmland and woodland. A haven for birdwatchers and nature lovers or those who just want to enjoy the tranquility of the Pennines and Eden Valley with breathtaking walking country.
The house is spacious and very comfortably furnished, combining the charm of old oak beams and wood-burning stove with a modern conservatory opening on to a patio and large walled garden. Accommodation comprises, kitchen/dining room, lounge, conservatory and WC on ground floor. Upstairs are 3 bedrooms, 1 twin, 1 double and 1 2'6" single, and bathroom with shower and bath. The adjoining barn provides a garage and large playroom with storage space for bikes, canoes etc.
Bed linen, except cot linen, and towels are provided. A cot and high chair are also available. The cottage has full oil-fired central heating, fuel and electricity are included in the weekly rate.
The 2-acre tarn next to High Slakes is stocked with trout and is available to guests for fly fishing. Milburn beck which flows through the farmland and past the cottage may be fished with any bait. Accommodation, grazing and forage is available at the farm if you wish to bring your own horse or pony with you. There are many bridleways and country lanes to ride around as well as some of the farmland and the open fell is just 10 minutes ride away. Pets are welcome by arrangement.
Children welcome from any age.
Ilkley, United Kingdom
05 November 2014
“Excellent location, lovely cottage,welcoming hosts”
Cottage was well equipped, and very clean. Location beautiful with lovely views of countryside and wildlife. Fresh produce straight from the farm (best black pudding ever). Excellent tour of the farm, which thrilled three young boys, by lovely people who are passionate about their farm.
NY 664284 54.64956 -2.52222
Ten miles from M6 jct 40. Two miles from A66 at Kirkby Thore, follow signs to Milburn, 0.25 mile before Milburn turn right over cattle grid, go 500m then right after second cattle grid. Call at Low Howgill farm for key. Nearest railway station is Appleby, 5 miles and Penrith 10 miles.
- Children welcome
- Ironing facilities
- Private parking
- Central heating
- Laundry facilities
- Microwave cooker
- Linen provided
- Telephone (public)
- Working farm
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- DVD player
- CD player
- High chairs available
- Cots available
- Real log/coal fires
- Drying facilities
- Washing machine
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Parking for Single unit properties:
- Parking space provided
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- Parking for Multiple unit properties:
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- Solid ie tarmac / concrete etc
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Dining room
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedrooms available with non-allergic bedding (ie non-feather pillows)
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Bath with support handrails available
- Taps in bathroom with lever handles available
- Steps to the main entrance:
- 1Number of steps to entrance
- Entrance is well lit
- Sink taps have lever handles
- Seating available in kitchen
- Guest information available in large print (14pt and over)