Refine your search
Search availability for Temple Sowerby House Hotel & Restaurant and book online
Temple Sowerby House is a delightful country hotel in the heart of a peaceful conservation village.
Set beneath the majestic sweep of the Pennines, yet just a few minutes drive from the shores of beautiful Ullswater, it is an ideal touring base in an area of outstanding natural beauty. A Grade II Listed building dating from 1727, the house has been sensitively restored to create just 12 individually-styled, en-suite bedrooms with contemporary bathrooms. Enjoy afternoon tea or drinks before dinner on the terrace by the croquet lawn or, on cold winter nights, by the fireside in one of the comfortable reception rooms. Dine in the restaurant overlooking the walled garden, where the chef prepares menus to 2 Rosette Dining Award standard using the best of local produce including a selection of herbs, fruit and vegetables from the garden. Click on the website below for details of special rates for dinner, bed & breakfast and to view special offers.
Children welcome from age 12.
NY 611270 54.63662 -2.60416
Map reference: NY 611270
From the M6 jct 40, follow A66 eastbound towards Appleby, Brough and Scotch Corner. Temple Sowerby House is less than 10 minutes from the motorway, signposted off the A66 Temple Sowerby By-Pass.
From Scotch Corner, take the A66 westbound towards Brough, Appleby and Penrith. Temple Sowerby House is approximately 6 miles west of Appleby and signposted off the A66 Temple Sowerby By-Pass.
Penrith railway station, on the main west coast line, is approximately 10 minutes drive.
Helicopters can land in the garden by prior arrangement.
- Tea/coffee making in bedrooms
- Licenced (table or bar)
- Packed lunches provided
- Special diets available
- Lounge for residents' use
- Ironing facilities
- Conference facilities
- Private parking
- Building of historical interest
- Central heating
- Electric shaver points
- Pony trekking/horse-riding
- Golf available (onsite or nearby)
- Restaurant open to non-residents
- Cycles for hire
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- Vegetarian diet available
Children welcome from age 12.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance is
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Entrance to reception
- One or more bedrooms
- Good contrast between the floor and wall
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedroom with non-allergenic bedding available
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Bath with shower
- Bedrooms available with en suite bathrooms suitable for guests who use a wheelchair
- Bell at main entrance
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Menus available in large print (14pt and over)
- Meals for guests with special dietary requirements can be provided:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliac)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Low potassium
- Low sodium
- Nut free
- Proprietors/staff available 24-hours
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities