Refine your search
This delightful traditional 2-bedroom Lakeland cottage is idyllically situated in a quiet, elevated and secluded rural position above Grasmere next to Little White Moss Tarn a short walk from Dove Cottage. The cottage is surrounded by woodland at the rear with stunning views to Rydal Water and Loughrigg Fell from the south facing garden and both first floor bedrooms. Fairfield Horseshoe on the doorstep makes it ideal for walkers.
A number of original features have been preserved to maintain the charm of the cottage including slate flagged flooring, exposed beams and an open fire place. There is off-road private parking for 1 car.
Tarn Cottages is no more than 10 minutes walk downhill to Dove Cottage and a little further to the centre of Grasmere. Rydal Mount is only 1 mile away along the bridal way that starts close by.
There are 2 bedrooms, 1 double, 1 twin, both with views over woodland towards Rydal Water and Loughrigg Fell. There is an open fire and a colour TV, video recorder and DVD player in the cosy sitting room. The fitted kitchen/diner is well equipped as well as cellar and outhouse.
Children welcome from any age.
York, United Kingdom
01 June 2016
Wonderful and relaxed setting. Cosy and homely cottage with lovely sized bedrooms, both having great views of the garden and beyond. A wide variety of birds visit the feeders that can be seen from all rooms at the front of the property, and we were lucky enough to see a red squirrel too.
Reply from 3 Tarn Cottages at 5 Jun 2016
Thank you very much for your generous comments. It is indeed a secluded, peaceful location - in winter you might see a deer too, and almost any time of year a heron fishing in the tarn next door to the cottage.
NY 346068 54.45237 -3.01017
Take A591 to Grasmere. At Grasmere turn off A591 to Dove Cottage, signposted. Continue past Dove Cottage and up the hill, pass a small tarn on the left and continue up steep hill. Cottage is 300m on the left. Train to Windermere then taxi.
- Children welcome
- Ironing facilities
- Private parking
- Central heating
- Microwave cooker
- Linen provided
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- WiFi or internet access
- DVD player
- CD player
- High chairs available
- Cots available
- Real log/coal fires
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Parking for Single unit properties:
- Parking space provided
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- Parking for Multiple unit properties:
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Steps and no ramp
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Dining room
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedrooms available with non-allergic bedding (ie non-feather pillows)
- Bathrooms available with:
- Bath with shower
- Bath with support handrails available
- Steps to the main entrance:
- 1Number of steps to entrance
- Entrance is well lit
- Sink taps have lever handles
- Seating available in kitchen
- Call system with vibrating pads
- Call system with flashing lights