Refine your search
Search availability for Monk Coniston and book online
Monk Coniston has been welcoming visitors for nearly 70 years. With its enviable location, it has always been attractive to walkers, outdoor enthusiasts, and those who enjoy peace and tranquility.
Monk Coniston offers spacious ensuite bedrooms, fabulous food and a spacious lounge to relax in. Our extensive grounds, which include a walled garden and an exotic tree collection, are particularly scenic, and make a delightful place to relax.
We have 34 bedrooms, each with their own individual character and layout. Some rooms in the main house have superb views of the lake, with others in the adjoining cottage and Counting House.
Children welcome from any age.
SD 316983 54.37558 -3.05447
Monk Coniston is around 1 hour from Junction 36 of the M6. If you are using a sat-nav, the postcode for Monk Coniston is LA21 8AQ.
From Ambleside take the A593 signposted to Coniston. After a mile turn left onto the B5286 signposted to Hawkshead. Follow this road for about 4 miles, passing through the hamlet of Outgate, then turn right onto the B5285 signposted to Coniston (don't take the earlier road signposted to the Drunken Duck and Coniston). Follow the B5285 over Hawkshead Hill for a further 2 miles. As the road descends you'll go around a sharp 180° bend to the left. The entrance to Monk Coniston is just ahead on the left hand side. Parking is available in the grounds.
The nearest station is at Windermere. This it at the end of a branch line from the junction at Oxenholme, on the main line between London and Glasgow.
Trains to Windermere run approximately every hour, with many running direct from Manchester and Manchester Airport.
By taxi or bus
The 13 mile journey from Windermere station to Monk Coniston can be made by taxi or bus. Taxis cost approx £23 per journey if pre booked, less if shared. We'll send you details of local companies when you book.
In the summer, direct buses run approximately every hour from Windermere station to Monk Coniston.
The nearest airport is at Manchester. If you are arriving at London Heathrow or London Gatwick it is possible, if you have a morning arrival, to reach Monk Coniston in a day.
- Children welcome
- Tea/coffee making in bedrooms
- Ironing facilities
- Christmas special programme
- Private parking
- Building of historical interest
- Central heating
- Laundry facilities
- Television available
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- WiFi or internet access
- Coach parties welcomed
- Evening meals
- High chairs available
- Cots available
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance is
- Solid ie tarmac / concrete etc
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Is flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Entrance to reception
- Public toilet
- One or more bedrooms
- Good contrast between the floor and wall
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedroom with non-allergenic bedding available
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Bath with shower
- Bedrooms available with en suite bathrooms suitable for guests who use a wheelchair
- Entrance well lit
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Meals for guests with special dietary requirements can be provided:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliac)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Low potassium
- Low sodium
- Nut free
- Additive free
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities