Thornthwaite Farm is set amidst the beautiful scenery of the Woodland Valley. We have five cottages including our 4 star Gold Award barn conversion and a luxury Gold Award Log Cabin all with stunning views of the Lakeland fells. The cottages and Log Cabin are ideally situated for those wishing to go walking or cycling or just relaxing, with many walks from your cottage door.
The farm provides a unique diversity of landscape, including lowland flower meadows, ancient woods, rocky outcrops, streams and rivers. The farm also offers a diverse range of wildlife and fauna including rare orchids and mosses including a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Special Area of Conservation. We have 150 acres of beautiful woodland to explore, which are a vivid carpet of bluebells in the spring.
Additionally, guests regularly enjoy going badger watching at dusk, watching the fox cubs playing or catching a glimpse of the barn owls out hunting. We also have available to guests our own trout fishing lake and river bank fishing.
Thornthwaite is located within easy reach of all the major attractions, however if you need to get away from it all and relax in a friendly atmosphere our farm is perfect. Each property has free Wi-Fi (please note the speed is slow.)
Children welcome from any age.
SD 242885 54.28649 -3.16586
Leave the M6 Motorway at Junction 36, and take the first exit onto the A590.
Follow the A590 as far as Greenodd Estuary, at the roundabout turn RIGHT onto the A5092.
Continue along this road passing through the hamlets of Spark Bridge, Lowick and Gawthwaite.
Approximately ½ mile after the hamlet of Gawthwaite, look for the turning on the RIGHT signposted ‘Woodland’.
Take this RIGHT turn and follow the road for approximately 3 miles until you reach a ‘T’ junction.
At this junction turn LEFT. After approximately 200 metres, you will see our sign is on your RIGHT, set back about 20 yards away from the road on the entrance wall. Come over the cattle grid and continue up the farm lane through the woods, taking the corners wide.
After approx ½ mile you will come to the gates into Woodland Hall, DO NOT go through the gates into Woodland Hall, instead continue to the left, this brings you to Thornthwaite Farm.
- Children welcome
- Ironing facilities
- Private parking
- Central heating
- Laundry facilities
- Microwave cooker
- Linen provided
- Golf available (onsite or nearby)
- Working farm
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- WiFi or internet access
- DVD player
- High chairs available
- Cots available
- Real log/coal fires
- Drying facilities
- Washing machine
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Parking for Single unit properties:
- Parking space provided
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- Parking for Multiple unit properties:
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Outdoor facilities
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Bedrooms available with non-allergic bedding (ie non-feather pillows)
- Bedrooms available with no fitted carpets
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Steps to the main entrance:
- 3Number of steps to entrance
- Entrance is well lit
- Seating available in kitchen