Gilpin Mill has been a mill since 1500 using the water power firstly to clean and thicken wool as a fulling mill and latterly, in the 19thC as a bobbin mill turning wooden bobbins for the Lancashire cotton industry.
In its heyday the water stored in the millpond would have powered the 17ft water wheel that would have in turn driven the four wood turning lathes in the mill.
As far as we know the milldam was washed away about hundred years ago and the mill fell into disuse and it collapsed in 1975.
Since buying the site in 2005 we have built a new mill house and constructed a new dam with a fish ladder across the Gilpin beck for the migrating salmon and sea trout. The new millpond was filled up for the first time at Easter 2009. We don't intend to turn bobbins again but we do intend to use the water to generate electricity to supply the house and the national grid.
The new mill house has been designed and built specifically for comfort, character and relaxation with oak beams, slate floors and open fires downstairs. Light, restful bedrooms with large top quality beds, stylish bathrooms with under floor heating and walk-in, pressurized showers all adding to the treat. And if you're lucky with the weather there is always breakfast outside on the terrace whilst watching the fish rise!
Although the house is in within a 10-minute drive to lake Windermere it is well off the beaten track and offers complete peace and quiet, especially in the south facing garden.
When it comes to eating out ten minutes on country lanes will take you to either the Punch Bowl in Crosthwaite, the 08/09 Michelin Pub of the Year; the Brown Horse in Winster; the Sun Inn in Crook or for fine dining, the Gilpin Lodge.
There are plenty of footpaths for the walkers and bridleways for cyclists on the doorstep. For golfers there are two courses one handicap only, the other pay and play within two miles of Gilpin Mill. There is a municipal, good quality tennis court in Crosthwaite and trout fishing is available here during the season.
Children welcome from age 1.
SD 431944 54.34197 -2.87671
Leave the M6 at jct 36 and turn left, taking the A590/A591, the Kendal by-pass to the first roundabout, third exit. Take the B5284, the first exit, to Crook and Hawkshead via ferry. After two miles turn left at Crook church and follow the lane for one mile. At the first fingerpost take the right turn to Winster, 50yds later take the next fingerpost to Winster. As you turn you will see the house directly front of you down on the beck. Follow the lane over the bridge and turn immediately left into Gilpin Mill.
- Tea/coffee making in bedrooms
- Lounge for residents' use
- Ironing facilities
- Snacks/afternoon tea
- Private parking
- Totally non-smoking
- Building of historical interest
- Central heating
- Laundry facilities
- Electric shaver points
- Television available
- Golf available (onsite or nearby)
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Vegetarian diet available
- WiFi or internet access
- DVD player
- Real log/coal fires
Children welcome from age 1.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance is
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Has steps and no ramp
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Entrance to reception
- One or more bedrooms
- Good contrast between the floor and wall
- Clear surfaces such as glass doors have contrast markings
- Guest information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedroom with non-allergenic bedding available
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Separate shower unit with support handrails available
- Steps to the main entrance
- 6Number of steps to entrance
- Entrance well lit
- Bell at main entrance
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Menus available in large print (14pt and over)
- Meals for guests with special dietary requirements can be provided:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliac)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Low potassium
- Low sodium
- Nut free
- Additive free
- Proprietors/staff available 24-hours
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities
- Staff have had disability awareness training