Low Howgill Farm is situated in the lovely Eden Valley, which lies between the Pennines and the Lakeland Fells from Mallerstang down to the Solway Firth, from here the Lake District, the Border Country and Hadrian's Wall are within easy reach. The unspoilt fellside villages are a joy to explore, Milburn is the nearest at one mile away and the historic town of Appleby-in-Westmorland is 5 miles to the east.
The farm has an area of ancient woodland running alongside Milburn Beck and a small lake where fishing is available, these are managed to provide a natural habitat for wildlife. Guests may expect to see red squirrel, roe deer, badger and many species of waterfowl.
An old stone barn adjacent to the farmhouse has recently been renovated to provide 3 en suite bedrooms, 2 double rooms and 1 twin.
There is a dining/sitting room exclusively for guests' use with a TV and a fire for the colder times.
Prices include a full English breakfast using local produce and eggs from our own free range hens.
Unfortunately we do not accept pets in the bedrooms but arrangements can be made to give them a comfortable bed in a nearby outbuilding.
Children welcome from any age.
Co Derry, United Kingdom
30 June 2014
“Welcoming, hospitable, comfortable, restful.”
Have stayed here about six times and always enjoy returning. Quiet and restful, beautiful location on interesting working farm with wonderful scenery, local walks, lakes close enough to visit. Wonderful breakfasts.
Reply from Low Howgill Farm at 6 Jul 2014
We also enjoy welcoming Mr & Mrs Mcnicholl and exchanging notes on our expanding families! Glad you enjoyed our lovely area.
NY 662287 54.65224 -2.52535
From A66 at Kirkby Thore follow signs to Milburn, 0.25 miles before Milburn turn right, over cattle grid go 500m then right after second cattle grid. No public transport, will collect from Appleby Railway Station.
- Children welcome
- Tea/coffee making in bedrooms
- Lounge for residents' use
- Ironing facilities
- Private parking
- Totally non-smoking
- Central heating
- Electric shaver points
- Television available
- Working farm
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- Vegetarian diet available
- WiFi or internet access
- Single sex groups welcomed
- High chairs available
- Cots available
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance is
- Solid ie tarmac / concrete etc
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Has steps and no ramp
- Good contrast between the floor and wall
- Guest information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Bedroom with non-allergenic bedding available
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Bath with shower
- Bath with support handrails available
- Steps to the main entrance
- 2Number of steps to entrance
- Entrance well lit
- Bell at main entrance
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Menus available in large print (14pt and over)
- Meals for guests with special dietary requirements can be provided:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliac)