Nab Cottage is between Grasmere and Ambleside, in the heart of the Lake District, with beautiful views over the lake. It stands alone near the shores of Rydal Water and is surrounded by mountains. The cottage dates from the 16thC with many original features, beams, flagged floors, spice cupboard, mullioned windows, open fire. There are 7 bedrooms, most en suite, a dining room, sitting room and Thomas de Quincey's original opium den, now a TV room.
The atmosphere is easy going, guests can enjoy spending time inside, chatting by the blazing fire, reading at the window seats which overlook the lake, playing the piano, poring over maps, or enjoying our home-made bread and a long breakfast. Once outside, the views and the walks are stunning. There are excellent low level routes and longer treks directly from the cottage. We offer maps, advice and drying facilities. Guests can also use our Canadian canoe on the lake.
Packed lunches, dinner or lighter snacks available using fresh, organic and fairtrade ingredients as far as possible.
Massage, Reiki and Shiatsu are available on site to guests.
A beautifully converted barn adjoining the cottage can be booked for family parties and workshops.
Children welcome from any age.
Steam Mill Street, United Kingdom
03 June 2014
“One night and breakfast - french new comers in UK”
Really Nice view on the lake and mountains from the bed!
Close to walks and ambleside.
Road a little bit noisy and the room key didnt work.
NY 396055 54.44130 -2.93156
From the south leave M6 jct 36 and follow signs for the A591, bypassing Kendal, Windermere and going through Ambleside on the road to Keswick.
From the north leave M6 jct 40 take A66 towards Keswick and after 10 miles branch left down St John in the Vale, signposted Windermere. Continue past Thirlmere lake, over Dunmail Raise and into Grasmere vale. Nab Cottage is on the left about 2 miles after the Thistel hotel at the end of Grasmere village.
- Children welcome
- Tea/coffee making in bedrooms
- Licenced (table or bar)
- Packed lunches provided
- Special diets available
- Lounge for residents' use
- Ironing facilities
- Conference facilities
- Snacks/afternoon tea
- Baby listening service
- Private parking
- Totally non-smoking
- Building of historical interest
- Central heating
- Electric shaver points
- Telephone (public)
- Television available
- Children's outdoor play area
- Restaurant open to non-residents
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- Vegetarian diet available
- WiFi or internet access
- Euros accepted
- Single sex groups welcomed
- Evening meals
- High chairs available
- Cots available
- Real log/coal fires
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance is
- Solid ie tarmac / concrete etc
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Is flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Entrance to reception
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedroom with non-allergenic bedding available
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Entrance well lit
- Bell at main entrance
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Meals for guests with special dietary requirements can be provided:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliac)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Low potassium
- Low sodium
- Nut free
- Additive free
- Proprietors/staff available 24-hours
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities